Friday, May 29, 2009

The Proposal



First things first. I said "yes." For some reason, this seems to be one of the first questions people ask me. I'm not sure what that says about us. hmmmm... Like there would be any other answer than "yes." Make that an emphatic "yes."

We decided to create a blog for the occasion for several reasons. First because we are, for all intent and purposes, eloping. By creating a blog, it gives a chance for our family and friends who won't be with us to celebrate the occasion to share in the experience. And secondly because I can't exactly keep up with all the information we are pulling together for those that are coming.

So how did Jeremy propose? We were out in Lake Tahoe celebrating Liz and Brian's wedding. So after three days of fun, sun, wine, more sun, way more wine, we were to spend five days climbing at Lover's Leap. Jer's plan was to propose at the summit of Lover's Leap. However, this plan ran into a couple of snafus.

Monday--We head out to climb a route named "The Line". We wake up nice and late, dehydrated, and get to the crag at the break of noon. Just in time for the sun to come around and warm up the rock. This seemed like perfect timing...at first. Right when we get to the base of the route, we realize we are third in line for the route. This means a 2+ hour wait, but since we really want to do this particular route, we decide to wait it out. So at 2:30 we finally get started. By the time I start it's 3:00pm and I've been baking in the full sun for three hours, hung over, and in no way able to take in enough water. Half way up the route, I don't feel so good. Another 20 feet and suddenly, I'm not seeing so good either, as suddenly everything goes dark and narrows down to a long tunnel. This was the quick ending to a very short bit of climbing after Jer lowers me back to the ground quickly.

Tues--We head out earlier to climb in the shade and climb "Bear's Reach." This route does take us to the top of the crag, but not to the TOP summit--which was Jer's goal.

Wed--We are lazy, vacationing bums who are living large at the Marriot. We lounged happily by the pool and attempted to tan our very pale Coloradoan skin.

Thurs--We have plans to summit this day. However in the midst of our third pitch, a storm moves in. For those that know and love me, you know what I'm like climbing when there is light ning. I think I may have actually beat Jer to the lower buttress summit and I was the one belaying.

Fri--Our last day in Tahoe. Jer's last day to do the summit proposal. Weather forecast--70% chance thunderstorms and hail starting at noon. Soooo....no climbing that day. But Jer is resourceful. Actually, I think his comment afterwards was that if he didn't do it in Tahoe, he was going to have to 'arrange' something in Rocky Mtn National Park, and who knew how long that might take. So that morning after checking out, we decide to take a hike before heading to Reno. We head toward Emerald Bay, and find a campground that's closed for the season. But it has a hiking trail that heads out along one of the land inlets that surround the bay. And the best part is that we have the entire location to ourselves due to the closed campground. We make our way out there ahead of the storm clouds, and stop to snap a photo together at the overlook on Emerald Bay. And that was where he asked to marry me.

So my answer was "yes." Followed by, "can we get out of here now? I just saw lightning." lol



No comments:

Post a Comment